AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planting memories
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Iowajim
Posted 4/5/2020 21:48 (#8168332 - in reply to #8167931)
Subject: RE: planting memories

NW Iowa
We who grew up driving an old noisy uncomfortable cabless tractor tend to enjoy a nice quiet warm cab more than the younger generation. I am not saying the younger generation is any softer than we were at that age, he younger generation just came i to this world at a better time than we did when it comes to tractors.

When I plant one particular field on the home farm I always think about watching my dad plant this same field with a 490 Deere planter using check wire. He pulled the planter with his neighbor’s SC Case, the neighbor ran Dad’s A Deere pulling the 12 foot spring tooth. Now I plant this field with GPS and most of the other modern gadgets we have on our planters today. Dad was planting three to a hill on 40” rows which was 12,000 population? I’m too tired to do the math. There was no herbicide, all he did to plant was fill the boxes with seed and the tractor with gas. He did use the fertilizer boxes on the planter for awhile but he got tired of scooping fertilizer Out of a wagon to fill the boxes so he quit using starter. He had to get off the tractor at each end of the field to whip the wire over and reattach it to the planter, then get back on the tractor and head back across the field at 3 MPH, or a certain amount of buttons per minute. Planting didn’t start in the morning until he had spent two hours doing chores carrying pails of feed to the farrowing pens and pitching manure.

It seems like the older I get the more I appreciate the modern machinery I have today when I think back about the ‘good old days’.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)