AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will families go back to canning/freezing fruits and vegetables?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

MNfarmer85
Posted 4/5/2020 23:39 (#8168560 - in reply to #8166572)
Subject: RE: Will families go back to canning/freezing fruits and vegetables?

South Central MN
I wouldn't exactly call that produce in the store "fresh" but some comes close.

I think this year a lot are going to try to garden, realize how hard it actually is and probably give it up for next year provided some other epic event isn't propelling them to garden again. My side of the family has always had a garden, except for the past couple years but had already planned on doing one this year now that we are living at the farm. Just glad the seeds I got off the internet had been ordered end of January/early February, many of those same sites are no longer taking orders. However the Menards here had quite a bit left for seed, so hard to say if it is just a regional thing or what.

Go look up what weeds are edible and then use those for food, if you can't beat em eat em I'd say. Tried that with lambsquarter once, not much difference from spinach after cooking... Just make sure you didn't spray anything recently. Maybe waterhemp will be the next "in" vegetable and it will then die off "just because" after becoming a farmable plant.

Maybe all those wishing for the nostalga of the "Good old days" will get to find out how they really were, and be thankful for what modern lifestyle has to offer. Nothing wrong with growing your own however, buying everything at the store certainly adds up. A $2 seed packet is pretty cheap if you have the space to spare compared to buying what that seed packet can produce on a good year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)