AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hot water recirculating pump
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

WTW
Posted 4/4/2020 23:03 (#8165436 - in reply to #8165400)
Subject: RE: Hot water recirculating pump

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
guessrow - 4/4/2020 21:46

Hello,

I'm going to add a recirculating pump for instant hot water in my kitchen and laundry room. I have 3/4" copper supply lines and I plan to run a 1/2" pex line (about 70' long) from my sink back to the water heater. The question is where to locate the pump.

At first I was thinking I should mount it in the kitchen sink. I would be 'sucking' the cooled hot water right from the supply line and 'pumping' it through the smaller pex line. The two main concerns are using up valuable cabinet space with a pump and potential noise, even though it's quality pump with virtually no noise. But... technically, this setup would be considered closed loop, so it wouldn't matter where I put the pump, correct?

If I located the pump at the end of the pex near the heater, I feel like I would be 'sucking' almost everything and 'pumping' it only a couple feet back into the water heater. Space or noise wouldn't be an issue here. Location thoughts? Am I overthinking this?

good luck -jim

I would put it back at the hot water tank in the 3/4" line. Pumps are much better at pushing rather than pulling. In this case I doubt it will make any difference where you put it. A good quality circulating pump, hopefully brass or stainless in this case, is virtually silent.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)