AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drive in theater style Church Service?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/4/2020 08:57 (#8163214 - in reply to #8163098)
Subject: RE: Drive in theater style Church Service?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have some of the older FM modulators as they are called. These devices plug in a lighter socket in your vehicle and broadcast an FM signal on an unused FM frequency. The older ones I had worked very well. Those took sound off of a USB stick and rebroadcast it as a miniature FM station. Any FM receiver within range set to that station could pick it up. These also had a mini jack where music from a tape player or the like could be piped in and rebroadcast. I never actually used that mini jack but I'm thinking that a microphone with the proper plug might have worked there.

This might then make a low powered FM radio station where the leader would speak into the microphone which would broadcast the message to anyone within range provided their radio was tuned to the proper unused FM frequency.

Actually these worked too well and the FCC made the companies reduce the power on the newer ones so as not to cause interference with someone else's radio. I remember one time that I heard some of my own music on my car radio which puzzled me since the FM modulator was not in my car. I couldn't figure out how the music was getting there. Turns out I was in my own yard and I had forgotten one of my FM modulators in a tractor that was sitting a fair distance away. The signal was strong enough to be picked up by the radio in my car. I guess the FCC felt that some might complain if they heard music from someone else's system. This would be desirable for the Church situation.

One Christmas I recorded a bit of the Beach Boys song about Saint Nick along with a personal message on a USB stick. I put the stick in the FM modulator which I stuck in the lighter socket of a battery jump start unit. The jump start unit was plugged into 110VAC. The music and message played in a constant loop. This was placed beside my lighted display of St Nick driving an old tractor. I made a sign informing folks to pull in my driveway and tune their radios to the frequency I had picked. This was necessary as I live on a well travelled road (in normal times) and the folks needed to stop, tune their radios to listen to the short music and message. This actually worked quite well and I should do it again sometime.

I did purchase a new one the other day but it does not have a connector for an audio source. This new style plugs into a lighter socket and shows the battery voltage upon initial startup which can be handy. It has two USB ports. One is just for charging a USB device. The other is for a USB stick containing music. The device is also Bluetooth capable meaning that I can pair it with my iPhone or iPad for a music source. The music comes off the phone or pad and is broadcast as Bluetooth. The FM modulator picks it up and rebroadcasts it again as an FM signal which the radio picks up and plays. This actually works very well. I put this in the older tractor I purchased on auction last Fall which has an older but adequate FM radio.

Good Luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)