AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How well are folks around you social distancing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JDpastor
Posted 4/4/2020 14:59 (#8164089 - in reply to #8163868)
Subject: RE: How well are folks around you social distancing?

ekeller2 - 4/4/2020 13:18

Galaxie64 - 4/4/2020 09:04

Personally don't care and am not "patrolling" to find out what other people are doing. If I need something I go get it, just like any other day.

Social distance shaming is the new virtue signaling.

If we all social distanced ourselves the. This could have been over in 2 weeks, yet we just keep spreading it around.

I am surprised how many people think that if we all just stayed home, there would be no problem. The problem is that it is impossible to keep EVERYONE home. Out of 330 million people, a certain percentage would end up sneaking out and then this thing could be spread. Besides that even if we got rid of all of the virus in our country and closed our borders there would still be people sneaking in. Further if we kept EVERYONE home for 2 weeks, who would make sure we had electricity flowing through our power lines and making sure natural gas was flowing to the furnaces of the people in town. Further, a lot of people do not have 2 weeks of food. Further, if everyone stayed at home, who would make sure the water was getting to all the houses. I fear some people do not think these things through. Sure on the farm most can get by just fine for 2 weeks or even 2 months. If you get hungry, just cook up some soybeans or kill a hog. If you need water, fire up the generator and turn on the well pump. If you get cold, thrown some wood in the stove- oh yah, you probably have a tank full of LP or fuel oil for the furnace already. No big deal. We can't just sit back and let the people in the big cities die as they isolate at home for 2 weeks. I know I am being blunt, but we need to think things through and not just respond with emotion. Keeping our economy open is not just about greed for money, it also about making sure people are kept alive. That is why our leaders are deeming certain things essential services, but even those essential services are potential for the virus to spread. The point is that it is not practical or life saving to completely shut things down for 2 weeks. We just need to slow down the spread so that hospitals can keep up. We cannot completely stop the spread until more get infected and have resistance. The big unanswered question is if we will save more lives by having it spread slower or faster. In that discussion we need to look at more than just the deaths caused by COVID. If our economy tanks too much then the added stress may lead to other health issues and higher death rates for heart attacks and even cancer. I just read part of an article from 2016 that showed that the recession of 2008 was linked to higher cancer death rates because the added stress led to higher cancer rates. There are not easy answers to this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)