AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone suffering from donor burnout??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/4/2020 03:19 (#8162742 - in reply to #8161490)
Subject: When are you helping and when you are enabling or being scammed?

West Union, Illinois
We do very little personal giving to organizations begging for money. And we occasionally get local folks asking for help. That's the toughest part for me, deciding that. I rarely give money. You need money for groceries? Hop in the truck and I'll buy you groceries. Need gas money? Let's go to the station and I'll fill you up. But then it gets to am I helping or enabling?

Our church has had a faith promise mission program for about 50 years, managed by a 6 member committee. One 3 year term then you're off a while. We support several missions: homes, church camp, crisis pregnancy centers, Bible colleges, on the ground missionaries in various countries.

We have a mission we've supported from the beginning. They do good work. Still do. But the founding guy has retired and turned over the reins. The new guy in charge is ... I'll call him a fundraiser. Every correspondence is a plea for money. Every email is wanting us to put them in our will. As far as we can tell (and our involment has gone so far as having church members on their board) the main thing is still the main thing. But the continual fundraising is wearing thin.

Local benevolence is one of our missions. Like I said earlier it's sometimes difficult to decide when you are being scammed, when you are helping someone and when you're just enabling them to continue what they're doing without making needed changes.

Over the years the church has dropped some missions Had a Church plant in New Zealand that said we're self supporting. Thanks for the help, stop sending it. That felt good.

We had another church start we'd supported a long long time. We supported the Missionary who started there 40-50 years ago. He passed away years go. We supported his widow and the preacher who they trained. To take over. We finally told them they had reached the point it needed to make it on its own.

I guess I'm wondering off topic a bit. We personally have little to do with professional fundraisers. Slick doesn't cut it around here

Edited by Mike SE IL 4/4/2020 03:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)