AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

did/do you get along with your in laws?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

150pilot
Posted 4/3/2020 14:28 (#8161364 - in reply to #8159061)
Subject: RE: did/do you get along with your in laws?

New London, Wisconsin
My MIL was a saint, and funny besides. The FIL was strict in his own house rules way, that outsiders wouldn't know. I ran afoul of that a few times and thought of packing up our 4 kids and leaving. MIL saw I don't bluff and deescalated the situation. FIL and I always got along fine after that. Maybe he figured out I wasn't some pushover. He was always great to me after we figured that out.

MIL just died a year ago, and everyone misses her. When my wife was pregnant with our son she almost lost him at 7 months and was completely bed ridden for 30 days. This happened during spring planting with a 2 year old daughter and no other family in the state. MIL flew up to live with us for a month. She was amazing. Great care for my wife, but not bossy about house things, as in how would you like this, or that done. Food was amazing, and plentiful. After the baby was close enough for his due date she went back to Ohio. Friends felt sorry for me having my MIL live with us so long. I thought it was fabulous, and it was terrific to have her come.

My Almost inlaws were just as terrific as my real ones. After dating the same girl 7 years and much planning for marriage, she decided to switch players and left us all in shock. The almost inlaws took me aside and said, Look, we don't understand this either, but you are family to us. Please stay connected and we promise to time our meetings and dinners when she would not be around. I agreed, and was literally blessed with an extra set of almost inlaws for the rest of their lives. They were guests a few years later at my wedding and came to visit us each summer for many years until health issues stopped them. All the family approved of that arrangement, but I'm sure it was a bit intrusive to the poor guy she actually married, and probably was awkward for the ex girl friend. But she remained pleasant about the arraignment. She's the one who called me to warn of her dads last days as she knew we were close. I'm grateful for that too.

I have received more love, help, good advice, and wonderful times than I even deserved. It was a delight to have them all in my life. The almost inlaws did more than they ever knew to shape me into the person I am today. I felt as close to them as I did to my own parents. Now my wife and I are the FIL's and MIL's and we love those 4 extra spouses in our lives as much as the kids we raised. I am more proud of the 8 of them than any other accomplishment in my life.

Jim

Edited by 150pilot 4/3/2020 14:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)