AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which Omnidirectional Wifi Antennas?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

back.forty
Posted 4/1/2020 10:34 (#8155976 - in reply to #8151196)
Subject: RE: Which Omnidirectional Wifi Antennas?

SE Ia
I’m not sure if this still applies but at one time it wasn’t illegal to sell Wifi antenna that were illegal for consumer use. In 2014 the fcc published the current rules for consumer signal boosters.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=2dfb8555423ebf29ff89b25afd...

I think it interesting that they added a registration requirement. I don’t know what has to be done to get a license but if registration is now legally required for antenna and boosters an individual might look into getting a license. My unlimited cellular data plan has changed my thoughts on a farm wide Wifi network.

I still have a DIY omnidirectional antenna on a shelf for show that should have given about 12 dB gain. I also bought a d-link antenna with 7dB gain. I’ve tried both, one at a time, on separate Linksys wrt 54gl’s with power output boosted. I’ve also used hawking boosters to boost antenna output. Adding these antenna and hawking to a router/routers would boost noise. The omnidirectional results were disappointing. There are cases where you could receive the boosted signal but the remote device you used didn’t have a strong enough signal to get back to the router. The device with the weakest signal limits the range of your network. There is a reason there are devices sold to create mesh networks.

I did share my network connection for years using yagi antenna and 2 wrt-54gl’s over a mile. There seem to be several good point to point options available today. Omnidirectional not so much, consumers dare not interfere with commercial networks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)