AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Comments needed on 4 day school weeks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ksfarmwife
Posted 3/29/2020 11:18 (#8148704 - in reply to #8148089)
Subject: RE: Comments needed on 4 day school weeks

Kansas
Our district went to a four day week ten years ago in the spring semester as a trial. They go M-Th from 8-4. We are a split town district, so kids are bused from each town and the shuttle bus leaves at 7:25 each morning and returns at 4:25 in the afternoon. When we started, our oldest was a senior and playing sports and our middle one was in grade school. I wasn’t sure I would like it, because it made them getting home a half hour later. However, they both quickly adapted and really liked it. To avoid students in sports missing as much instruction time, they made study hall at the end of the day. If we miss a day due to snow, we will go on Friday and we don’t take any of the Monday holidays except for major holidays (ie Labor Day). The major employer in our district works four day weeks with Friday being their off day, so I think that helped keep the negative opinions at bay when it started and I honestly haven’t heard anyone say they don’t like it. Not having a board connection to the district, I can’t tell you what it has saved, but I do know it has cut costs for transportation and substitutes due to staff being able to schedule appointments on Friday. Heat and air are turned off from Friday to Sunday as well to reduce utility usage. Personally, I like it as we can do things on Friday and not have to fight weekend crowds, or go out of town and leave on Thursday and our daughter doesn’t miss school. In these financial times, school districts need to look at all options for saving money and a four day week seems to be a good option IMO. Message me and I can try to get you in contact with a board member, staff member, or administrator to answer questions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)