AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I think it's time it stood on its own- oil that is!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

WItitan2
Posted 3/29/2020 06:46 (#8147809)
Subject: I think it's time it stood on its own- oil that is!

Pierce county WI
I love the snarky comments about ethanol being subsidised, mandated, welfare for farmers. Ok, what about oil? Let's start with pipelines. As a farmer that is also a tile contractor, I don't like pipelines. They are a pain, and they also cause drainage issues. If you don't know, pipelines will act like drain tile. Since they aren't put on grade, water goes to the low spots. So if a refiner wants to put a pipeline across my land, can I say no? I thought the native Americans were a their own country? They can't even say no to oil. That kinda sounds like to me like oil is mandated.....
What about blender pumps? We aren't supposed to blend higher octane in non flex fuel vehicles? Isn't it a free market? And since it's a free market, maybe we should go back to leaded gas for octane? What harm could come from that?
Let's get to the big problem with oil: hatred and war. Stop and think about how our lives have been affected by the problems we have in the middle East. For decades we have had a military presence in the middle East. How many lives lost? Remember 9/11? Those terrorists were from Saudi Arabia, our friends. We have no business being in the middle East. Think of the trillions of dollars and all the lives lost over oil in the middle East.
There's also the environment. The air is healthier now than it used to be, and there's more cars. Why regulate the environment if it's a free market? I mean really, we should have electric cars powered by nuclear. We should use nuclear power for more stuff. What could go wrong? What about all the oil spills? How many environmental disasters have we had from oil? You know what happens when you pour pure alcohol out on the ground? It evaporates.
So these are the things that the biofuels boards and commodity groups need to talk about. Quit playing nice. Quit advertising in farm magazines and at tractor pulls. I want a Superbowl commercial where we show the planes hitting the twin towers. I want to see the protesters trying to stop the pipeline in North America. I want to see pictures of the Exxon Valdez and deep water horizon disasters. There's nothing free market about oil either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)