AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flour question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 3/29/2020 09:21 (#8148233 - in reply to #8147499)
Subject: RE: Flour question

North of London
As others noted there are different uses for different wheat.

I can not tell you all the different wheats and their uses but through my 55 years of growing wheat I have grown soft white winter, hard red spring wheat and now soft red winter. All go to different uses. At one time I grew a soft red that was segregated and only used to produce biscuits not the products that other soft reds were used for.

So it depends on the type of wheat you are growing what you will get best results out of in any baking.

As I understand flour you buy in stores is produced with carefully management of what wheat is used, some has blends of different types and then the quality of any type is considered in how they mix and blend them as weather and growing conditions change every year and so the resulting wheat will have slightly different characteristics.

i am sure you could work out what best to bake with the wheat you have and will still get results in different types of baked goods but maybe not as good a quality as the commercial flours blended specifically for specific uses.

Have fun!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)