AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Use Auto Engage Button on Case/NH with Ag Leader
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/29/2020 07:02 (#8147831 - in reply to #8147708)
Subject: I don't think it would be that easy

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
"At least the R series just have a rocker switch in the armrest that you could wire another switch to, if needed."

The above seems reasonable and maybe possible but it would not be quite as simple as one might think. The Deere switch is a complex switch. The auto engage switches on my previous and current tractors other than the "R" are a simple N.O. momentary switch. This switch makes contact momentarily while the button or rocker is pushed but then returns to N.O. when released.

The Deere switch has several terminals. It is a rocker switch which is normally in the centered position. In that position some terminals are connected. When the switch is pressed in one direction, it deals with auto steering engage and breaks one circuit while engaging another. Steering MIGHT engage when this is done.

Pushing the switch the other direction deals with auto power shift on my tractor at least. This informs the system that you wish to return to a preset gear choice.

Notice above I indicated that pushing this switch MIGHT engage auto steer. Auto Steer will only engage IF the switch had been making contact with its Normally Closed terminal prior to this. If the system did not detect that connection it will refuse to engage. This apparently was done in the interests of safety to prevent auto steer from engaging inappropriately.

I got my "R" tractor as a lease return. It had been used by a local vegetable company. I had my local Ag Leader dealer install an Ag Leader Display and auto steer. This tied into the Deere CAN system, required some special unlocks but seemed to work fine initially. It would not reliably engage. Usually I was able to get it to engage if I kept messing with the switch. In consulting with a Deere Tech, he had me look at some diagnostics. From these he was able to determine that the switch was not always returning to the Normally Closed position when released. The solution was to replace the rather expensive switch. It has been fine since.

I suspect that while the tractor was out on lease, one of the operators may have spilled some sticky Mountain Dew or the like on the switch causing it to become less responsive in returning to center. I had this happen to a switch on another similar tractor of mine which was due to the Dew from one of my operators.

I don't think it would work very well to try to wire another switch in parallel with this one. That's fine because using the Deere switch is very acceptable.

Edited by tedbear 3/29/2020 14:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)