AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to in furrow.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/28/2020 15:23 (#8146506 - in reply to #8146467)
Subject: RE: New to in furrow.

Driftless SW Wisconsin

GOOSEPILOT - 3/28/2020 15:04 That's painting with a really wide brush there jim. I've seen 3 gal 10-34-0 reduce stands noticeable at 60mph (and without rolling the window down) and 50 miles away 10 gal not be a disaster. The rate depends on the salt load of the product and proximity to seed. Then CEC, o.m., sol salts, and soil moisture (from planting until probably at least v3-4 should be what determines how many gpa is a safe rate.

Agreed, I am painting with a wide brush.

However, the only time I have seen 6 gal/a or less of 10-34-0 in furrow damage a stand is when there was an unequal distribution of fertilizer across the width of the planter.

It is absolutely critical to have the same rate to each row!  On a 24 row/60 ft wide planter with the fert supply in the middle it is very difficult to make sure a row 30 ft away on the end is getting exactly the same rate as the row in the middle right next to the pump or distribution system.  But it can be done by a knowledgeable setup person. It should also be checked in the field before planting a lot of acres.

It is far safer to apply popup or starter other than in furrow. The Totally Tubular and Curvetine system has worked well on many wide planter installations in your area for years. I like to use a large diameter, high pressure tube across the entire width of the planter toolbar with a screened orifice in front of each row unit and the same length of smaller tubing on each row unit from the screened orifice to each outlet point.

Edited by Jim 3/28/2020 15:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)