AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Covid 19 webinar.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wayneNWAR
Posted 3/26/2020 20:49 (#8141676)
Subject: Covid 19 webinar.

north west arkansas
Just got off a Covid 19 webinar that u of a extension put on. It was recorded and they will have a link on there website if someone wanted to go back on and watch it. I really appreciate it and had some good topics but not sure I agree with everything said but I’m sure I’m looking at it wrong. Seems like politics always gets involved. Anyway they wanted questions asked. So my first question was what they thought about what seems to be a disconnect between boxed beef and the cattle market during Covid 19 and recently during the Tyson plant fire. I mentioned that there charts they put up on fed and feeder cattle vs boxed beef charts sure looked to show it. Well they didn’t touch on the plant fire but sure didn’t think there was a disconnect with Covid 19. They felt the cattle market crashing was a directly because of the basis slipping with all the uncertainty in the world and just followed the financial markets down. They did show charts how cattle was clearly following the financial markets down but didn’t touch on why it hadn’t followed this crazy 3 day run of the Dow up. Anyway my second question was about the beef checkoff and if they felt the packer should be taxed with it the same as cattle producers since it seemed the packer benefits as much as anyone from the actual promotion of beef. Anyway they said because of the nature of the question it needed to be answered in private and they would contact me personally. Anyway I sure appreciated them putting it on but it sure seems the big companies and there donations have a lot of enfluence on people in this country and I’m not saying that is the case here. Not saying I even feel that way, but I guess as the old saying goes you don’t bite the hand that feeds you. So with that said with all the lobbyists and all the campaign contributions and whatever avenues go we have no way to ever cure our situation I’m afraid. Anyway We are sure blessed in this state with an amazing extension service on both the crop and cattle side and I’m sure appreciative of all they do.
Edit: Forgot to add they sure didnt really seem to have much optimism unless this deal turns around really quickly and we can get America back to work and our restaurants open.

Edited by wayneNWAR 3/26/2020 21:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)