AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Speed output from a Raven 100G receiver
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/28/2020 07:30 (#8145116 - in reply to #8142612)
Subject: RE: Speed output from a Raven 100G receiver

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The speed connector on a Raven 440 contains 3 pins. This connector can work with a variety of speed sensors. The oldest but still used is the wheel sensor that uses magnets and a sensor. The Raven 3 pin connector contains 5V power OUT to power the circuit board, Ground and Signal IN from the sensor.

With other sensors such as radar or in your case GPS, the 5V power pin is not used. This means that I suspect that your "cut off" cable only has or uses only two wires.

One would be the signal and the other ground. The Raven speed connector is a conxall style and some Raven dealers would have them "loose". At least where I used to work we did. That means you may be able to put a connector back on rather than buying a new cable.

The signal pin is the one at the 6 O'clock position I would use a meter and check for continuity between the Ground wire to the GPS and each of the wires in the cut off section. If you find continuity to one of them that one is ground. If there is only one other than that must be the signal wire which goes to the 6 O'clock position.

I have found that in several situations that only the signal wire is actually needed so I would try connecting the assumed signal wire to the 6 O'clock pin.

Looking at your picture again, it appears that the cut off end (the left in your picture?) may contain 3 wires so maybe all three are needed. Now I'm curious as to what is inside the plastic box. Maybe there is some circuitry inside that needs the 5V from the 440. Sorry maybe none of this is helpful. A new cable may be better.

Edited by tedbear 3/28/2020 07:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)