AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IL Dept of Ag handing out fines for dicamba drift
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

schmid
Posted 3/27/2020 08:42 (#8142656 - in reply to #8139657)
Subject: RE: IL Dept of Ag handing out fines for dicamba drift

ECIL
WeaveFarmer - 3/26/2020 07:44

Thanks for sharing,

I am planning on using Engenia this year. In fact headed to sprayer shop to pick up my tips. The tips at over $11 for 60 are probably going to run me in the ballpart of $700.

Govt. regulation and following the rules so you don't impact your neighbor. $750 is pretty low cost of doing business.

I am planning on following rules to the T and being in compliance. I can spray all my beans in 2-3 days easy. Not sure how large operations and/or co-ops are going to be able to realistically use this product.

The problem is, and what many of us have been saying all along, you can think you're following the label to a T and the stuff gets up and walks down to your neighbors three days later anyway. Who's liable then? I personally won't spray the stuff because I respect other people's property. Had a deal with some paraquat last year that scared me enough to stay away from it. Used drift retardant, kept the boom low, still speckled up some neighbors corn leaves, fortunately no permanent damage, but a good reminder to me that a guy needs to be vigilant. The new dicamba formulations move up to days later when you have no control whatsoever besides just not using it. Between that and Bayer/Monsanto being found liable earlier this year which to me opens another whole can of worms as an operator, you are now spraying a product that a court found the manufacturer liable for damage on someone else's property. What does that open the operator up to liability wise now?

Edited by schmid 3/27/2020 08:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)