AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silage bale wrap question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 3/26/2020 13:51 (#8140576 - in reply to #8140241)
Subject: RE: Silage bale wrap question

NS Canada
I'm no expert on the manufacturing side of it, but from what I gather it allows them to make a tougher film, with varying characteristics for toughness/sun light resistance/ tack/ air tightness.. And more glue layers between each film layers prevents gas exchange thru the plastic.

I've used it over several years with both inline and single bale wrappers - tack has been acceptable, however I don't leave any 'tails' blowing in the wind, I get way too much wind here - and hate finding plastic all over the place.

I am however going to try a pallet of silograss this year to start with only because a salesman convinced me to try some and I know another guy that has had good luck with it. He had a little hand held sized sample roll with him and the tack was really sticky - perhaps just for show on the sample roll? - but I'll find out eventually. I've fed 100's of bales a month the last number of winters using silacord, and unless I had a noticeable hole in a bale, there was no waste due to plastic quality. So no complaints from me on it.

*Oh and 25 micron/1 mil is pretty much standard nowadays, and the thicker brands will have less footage in a roll. I found this quote while looking:

'Many mono-layer economy wraps are 1.2 mil thick or thicker. At
1 mil, a 1500 meter roll of SiloFlex will wrap between 26% and
33% more bales than a lower yield 1200 meter roll of 1.2 mil
mono-layer stretch film. Saving a few dollars per roll of 1.2 mil
mono-layer economy wrap will ultimately cost you much more
when you’ve finished wrapping your bales compared to SiloFlex.'

Edited by Supa Dexta 3/26/2020 13:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread