AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

another question about sourdough starter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 3/26/2020 11:19 (#8140224 - in reply to #8136832)
Subject: RE: another question about sourdough starter

Yes, the liquid bothered me at first too. As I remember, mine was fairly clear in color.

IMHO, sourdough quality seems to depend on things no one really understands much. But, the important thing is that it is alive. Feed it too often, and it gets very active - but it can die quite soon if it is neglected for very long. Feed it slower and it takes more time to bubble up, but it is more hardy. And flavorful. I used to like feeding it after I would take out enough to make pancakes with, and that was generally every other day. Three days at most. It was real sour by then, but that's the way I liked it best. Some people add baking soda to the batter, and it does make them fluffy - but it also kills the taste I liked so much. If you're making bread, age the starter before you take out enough to mix up if you really want that unique taste. Add just enough flour to thicken it and let it sit to rise for awhile. If you use a fresher batter, it will rise quite quickly, but it won't have nearly as much of the sour taste.

It's really just fun to experiment with it. I wish I could get a batch started, but one of our sons has celiac - he can't have even a minute amount of gluten. So, we haven't had flour in the house for many years. Flour just flies around would be way too difficult to clean up. Our son won't even eat something out of the oven if it has been used for baking anything with gluten, so we just avoid it entirely.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)