AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

another question about sourdough starter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 3/26/2020 09:37 (#8139981 - in reply to #8137883)
Subject: RE: another question about sourdough starter

That's a good site. I do disagree with a few things he says, but that there is plenty of room for differences when it comes to sourdough.

If I fed mine twice per day, even though the glass jar (like he uses) would only be half full, would overflow the top and make a mess. But, I'm sure that depends on the type of flour and who knows what else. The best I made was in Fairbanks, and when we moved back to the farm, it behaved differently. It was more difficult to control and keep active and still maintain a good aroma. San Francisco always brags about its sourdough - and who knows - maybe it is the ocean air.

Along with feeding it twice a day - the ideal temperatures he recommends would have my dough so active - to say nothing about feeding it twice a day - that I would have to be very careful about not letting the bacteria kill itself by running out of food. Once it kills itself, it is a throw-away, IMHO. With his, however, it must be so slow acting that there is always residual life in it even if it is not fed regularly.

I haven't time right now, but I glanced at his bread recipe. He uses a small amount of starter and a large amount of flour. That can give a loaf of bread that rises really good, but, IMHO (again), when I would try that I would lose way too much of the sourdough flavor. I loved the sourdough flavor. He uses the starter to get the action going with the flour. I found that I liked it better if I used a lot of the starter and only enough flour to get some of the rising of the dough. Again, personal preferences.

Can talk more later if interested.

Great stuff, however. I loved sourdough - both pancakes and bread.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)