AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Greater Grain/National Wheat Yield Contest?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 3/24/2020 20:11 (#8136151 - in reply to #8135943)
Subject: RE: Greater Grain/National Wheat Yield Contest?

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan

Higher population isn't the requirement.   1,800,000 for optimum planting date.  1,400,000 for early planting.  2,000,000 to 2,200,000 for late planting.  Early planting is typically the planting date that will give greatest chance of highest yield.  Within a week of "fly free date" is a good goal.  

Spend some time researching the highest yielding variety you can find.  Giving priority to short straw varieties with good stalk strength.  Which will help allow for high nutrient applications.

Keep the field clean, no weeds.  

Do not let diseases or insects infect the crop.  Multiple fungicide applications are needed in my area.  

Take a soil sample, if not recently done.  Get PH in the 6.5 area.   Get all nutrient levels in at least the medium range, if not the high range.

Apply all nutrients at levels needed for your yield goal.... in balance.  Including secondary and micronutrients.  Multiple applications of nutrients likely better than single applications, especially with nitrogen and sulfur.   If going for a very high yield goal that might put your wheat at risk of lodging.... consider a plant growth regulator like Palisade.

Go to Phil Needham's website and order the book or books that best apply to your grade of wheat.   Spring versus winter, etc.

Be out in your field, two or three time each week.  Certain treatments need to coincide with certain growth stages.  We only know what growth stage our wheat is at by inspection.

My opinion of what is working in my location.

gordon

Edited by briggsfm 3/24/2020 20:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)