AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New sprayer tips for burndown
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

millet_farmer
Posted 3/24/2020 16:20 (#8135436)
Subject: New sprayer tips for burndown

Akron, Colorado
Got a new to me sprayer getting shipped this week and i'm looking to buy tips for it. Since it's a fresh start I thought I would get the AgTalk perspective of setting it up. It has a 1200 gallon tank and 90 foot booms on 15" centers and all of my fields are square 1/4 sections at least. I will spray at 12-13 mph. Mainly do glyphosate, 2, 4-d, dicamba, vida/aim and some paraquat in my current burndowns. I will be running raven powerglide plus on it for autoboom height, which has the gauge wheels. They will sit the boom at 30" high. Any post, tall corn work, will be running height by hand since the gauge wheels will be way off the ground. (unless I upgrade to powerglide)

So my thoughts are to set it up to do 7 gal/acre for the systemic products so I can cover a 1/4 section a tank load. I have always sprayed 10 gal/ac previously because of having a big pull type and my concern is will I be doing the same quality of job assuming I target a good size coarse droplet?

My concerns are I am in a very dry and windy environment and pushing to smaller droplets could lead to more drift-able fines, prone to evaporation, but lowering gallons and keeping the same size droplets will lead to less coverage overall. I understand that glyphosate works better at low gpa because of less tie up in hard water, which I have. Good quality water treatment with AMS is a priority for me to get a good kill.

For the contact herbicides and pre-emerge work i'm thinking about doing a 14 gal/ac size tip.

I have run teejet XR flat fans with the pull type and I want to move to an air induction type tip for drift reduction. My dad's apache sprayer runs AIXR nozzles which seem to do better on drift but the usable pressure window seems a little small. (unacceptable pattern below about 30 psi) So i've been thinking about trying the medium pressure Greenleaf TurboDrop XL nozzles. The pressure range seems wider which would be nice if I decide I can run a little faster ground speed than I planned.

Any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)