AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oats for straw
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 3/22/2020 08:27 (#8127723)
Subject: Oats for straw

SC Wisconsin
Been doing some looking/ calling around trying to get some straw lined up for this summer. Everyone ive talked to in the area didnt get as much or any wheat put in as they planned and since we haven't greened up yet who knows what winter kill looks like. Normally im 100% corn, but I have a little piece like 7 acres i was going to put beans on this year so it could be rye next year for straw. With beans being dirr cheap and straw nonexistent, im thinking i might be better off just putting oats in to get some straw.

How do you guys prep your seed bed for oats? This was corn last year, i took the stalks off and have been spreading pen pack on it. How much do you seed per acre and is there a variety that sticks out for having above average straw yield? I know ive always heard oats will lodge right before they are ready to harvest, so im thinking maybe i should just plant them really heavy and burn it down at boot stage? Like i said looking for maximum straw yield here. The field would get a good dose of manure afterwards and then go to sudangrass, so im thinking the 3 week head start i would get going that route would give me an extra cutting of the sudan would be a better return than waiting for the oats yi dry down naturally and combine them.

Edited to add- i need the straw for newborn calves in hutches in the winter. Use sawdust in the summer but nothing else comes close to straw for winter. Ive tried them all and regretted it every time

Edited by jcolli140 3/22/2020 08:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)