AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spreading micronutrients
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nebfarmer
Posted 3/17/2020 07:20 (#8111868 - in reply to #8110627)
Subject: RE: Spreading micronutrients

SE Nebraska, Near Misery and Cans Ass!
JD_4020 - 3/16/2020 18:44

We are looking into spreading our own micro-nutrients on the farm.  Our plan is to leave the bulk P&K to the local coop and we do the micros since out previous attempts have been not very good.  Micros have settled out and/or not getting a good spread.  Right now looking at spreading Zinc Sulfate, Boron, and Copper Sulfate.  When looking at the product densities they are very different from each other.  So if needed,  we will spread them separately to get a good spread pattern.  To me it is about the quality of the application not about how many acres to cover.  If we do separate trips that would mean spreading as low as 5 lbs per acre in the case of the copper sulfate.  The copper will be a 1 year deal and see what happens on soil tests.  The boron and zinc will probably be an annual thing.

So my question, is anyone else doing this?  If so how are you doing it?  Is there a spreader you know of that can spread that low and do it well?  Will air booms do this low rate?

TIA 

How are your soil tests done to determine your need from micronutrients? Whole field tests, grid sample, have you done any tissue testing to see if soil test deficiencies correlate to tissue test deficiencies? I have good sampled and included micros in the tests for 20 years now testing it every years and I find the micro tests to be the most inconsistent and variable of all.

Edited by nebfarmer 3/17/2020 07:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)