AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where are they??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Beer money farms
Posted 3/16/2020 15:13 (#8110143 - in reply to #8105572)
Subject: RE: Where are they??

Almost god’s country
Dabbled in and out of FFA, wasn’t my major cup of tea, rural community grew up on farm, have some cattle of my own trying to build something up for myself to get out of a full time job.

To answer where are they?
Average age of a farmer is roughly 60, the young generation needs to go to a bank get financing and I’ve got shot down a few times on trying to buy land and cattle along with others. The bank has told us no, our parents told us get away and run nothing to come back to. Teachers in school need a degree and further education. New jobs are popping up and will train us to do things and pay us better than coming back home and working a job.

I would consider working for a bachelor with no kids work to own or something like that. But that won’t happen or very unlikely to happen.

Do the math on being a hired man, here’s a paycheck I expect you to work 6 days a week salary paid doesn't matter, harvest/ calving 7 days a week. Most aren’t tied to the operation, give me a profit share or stake in the farm- run some cows, % of crop, or some ground as a “bonus” to get my total interest.

Go to work in town, 40 hours and get paid 1.5 for OT, insurance, benefits, retirement and all the extra goodies farmers don’t offer or around here anyways. Me personally I have a number in mind if I’m going to be helping people and so on and know what my time is worth, if your paycheck isn’t worth my time I will not be showing up to work on your farm.

That’s my thoughts on the whole situation I would like to but The stability factor comes into it. Most kids in my experience don’t really care about FFA, they care about instead of sitting in class you can just take homework and not be here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)