AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wondering/dumb newborn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JustIf
Posted 3/14/2020 20:39 (#8105200)
Subject: Wondering/dumb newborn

-North Mo
This is my second year of having a calf that refuses to suck/identify with its mother - different cow and bull?
Just about at my wits end over this denial of one of the few instincts given to all mammals.
Calf born 2 days ago, found in ditch, brought in, dried, warmed and tried to feed, absolute refused to suck, esophagus fed and put back with cow. 10-12 hours later found in another ditch 60-80 yds traveled to get there. Again, dried, warmed, refusal to suck, fed twice (held over night) put back with cow few hrs later found in yet a different ditch where had to cross under electric wire and travel 50+ yrds, this time still standing and strong so just took back to cow, moved both to other side of pasture with hay. Few hours later found calf in with 7/8 wt yearlings in a ridiculously muddy lot - sure most know, conditions ain't good today in north mo thus I'd say just a few minutes from not being my problem. Anyway to get to the feeder lot he had to go under 3 hot wires and travel 100-150 hundred yards. Point being seems this calf does not give a crap about momma cow (she bawls for him, licks and mothers very well) he has never sucked her nor a bottle, once I get him warm and strong enough to go seems he just aimless wonders until can't continue. Seems I had a very similar one last year/difference being it was later in the year thus temps weren't such an issue but after a week plus of feeding I just let him starve with his mother ( a well uttered mature cow) worrying over him as he was just too dumb to care. Seems this one is a repeat. Wondering if best option isn't to just knock him in the head for his cape and graft a calf with the intelligence worthy of living onto the cow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)