AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Fertility Numbers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Soil Builder
Posted 3/13/2020 16:02 (#8101999 - in reply to #8100081)
Subject: RE: Soil Fertility Numbers

nebraska

parke249 - 3/12/2020 19:55 Our agronomist recently left the farm to pursue another opportunity and has really left me in a scramble this spring. I need a very basic level understanding of soil fertility to make sure we get through this year without hurting ourselves. I intend to go through some educational programs next winter to help me fulfill this new role in the coming years, but for now I've got to get us through this year. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. We shoot for 200 bushel corn and 60 bushel soybeans on average. My first question would be, what would be the optimal soil nutrient levels in pounds/ac of N, P, K, and S ? If I have that I can calculate and make sure we're building up or drawing down where we need to on farms. The second part of that is I need to know on a two year corn/soy rotation, how many pounds of each nutrient do I need to replace? Lastly when looking through our nitrogen rates on corn right now I appears to me were applying roughly 220lbs of N on corn, this seemed high to me at first but I also know our end rows averaging 130-150 is drawing down the good parts of the field where 240 bushel corn is growing. Should I drop our rates? Should I count a soybean credit of any kind given we only have 2-3% organic matter?

You'd be way ahead if you get a book written by William Abreight. Go to acresusa, and search for this author. Or, Charles Waters. You will be amazed on the stuff in that book. So get to read n .

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)