AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tiling a rented farm. 120’ vs 80’ vs splitting 120’ later
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dan H
Posted 3/12/2020 06:16 (#8097896 - in reply to #8097299)
Subject: RE: Tiling a rented farm. 120’ vs 80’ vs splitting 120’ later

Lake Park Iowa

I do not know your soils.  You know what will work the best.  My son and I tiled a rented 80 last spring with our own tile plow.  We put the tile in at 60 feet centers. We have been farming this land for better than 25 years.  A very wet piece of soil.  Finally said we need to fix this.  Took two tractors at places to pull a 4 inch plow through some of the wettest.  There were places in our hookups that the water came in so fast that it was to the top of my boots before I got finished.  We finally got it planted to corn, and at harvest time could not see where the lines went.  You could sure feel them though.  The yield alone last year from having a really good crop for that piece more than paid for the cost of the tile.  We have a good farm manger on that farm and worked out a protection of our expense.  But we did the work and paid for the tile up front.  We would do it again, look forward to a lot better piece of ground to farm.

We have done another piece over the years without protection, but we have received yields to more than make up for it.  And it is so much better to farm.  We try to improve what we farm  rented or not.  Is there some risk, yes but the rewards at worth it.  Have a great spring.  Dan  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)