AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

high yield milo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BacNBlak
Posted 3/11/2020 22:40 (#8097612 - in reply to #8094727)
Subject: RE: high yield milo

Eastern Shore of MD
We've played around with side dressing milo, similar to what most do with corn, and really pushed the N on it. There was literally almost no response. This was pivot irrigated, 20" rows.

I've been thinking that this year we may try, in addition to N, a fungicide. I've observed even in 'healthy' fields discoloration on leaves. Nothing severe per se but anything thats not green isn't working for the benefit of the plant, in my mind.

We met with a national bird seed purchaser that we were dealing with. He was from out west, visiting a regional facility and wanted to see our operation as we were new suppliers for them. Very interesting to talk to and pushing higher yields was something we were obviously interested in. He said that in all his travels, his observation is that location really plays a big role in the cap on milo yield. Some regions can push 200 while he said he has other great growers (more on our latitude, geographically speaking) that are stuck at just above half that. So it seems that there is no silver bullet right now, just play around with it and share what you find out!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)