AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problem with raven 440 or metering valve
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/10/2020 22:14 (#8095185 - in reply to #8094780)
Subject: RE: Problem with raven 440 or metering valve

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
There are various Raven control valves so I will have to guess which one you have. It may be a Standard Control Valve. If so it would likely say Standard and Valve Cal 2123. It may be a Fast or Fast Close valve. If it is a Fast or Fast Close, it should say C-F or C-FC with a Valve Cal of 743. If it is a PWM valve it should be marked that way.

I will assume you have a Raven Standard control valve in the liquid line and the 440 is set to Standard control. A standard control valve has built in limit switches which can go bad. If the valve is working properly putting 12V on the green wire and ground on the yellow wire should cause the valve to move unless it is already at its limit. Reversing the wires should cause the valve to move in the other direction for a while until it reaches the other limit. This process should take around 8 seconds to go from one extreme to the other. The valve does not go from straight open to completely closed but operates in about an 80 degree swing. If the valve continues to run round and round, it is either the wrong type or has a problem with the limit switch(es).

If you are trying to do this test by using the Raven cable you would need to have 12V and ground on the green and yellow wires just like you would if you were testing the valve directly to a 12V battery.

To test it with the Raven 440 connected, flip the Master and all boom section switches ON. Place the Rate 1/Rate 2/MANual switch in MANual. Then push the INC/DEC switch UP and hold it UP for a while, then push the switch DOWN and hold it for a while. The valve should move when you do this, again it should go to its limit and stop. It is very common for the limit switches to get corroded during the Off season. If a limit switch goes bad, the valve may move in one direction only and cause strange results.

The Raven 440 can work with different styles of valves. The setting must match the type of valve that you have. The choices are Standard, Fast and Fast Close, PWM etc. To view the settings push and hold the Self-Test key. The various initial settings should scroll by. If the 440 is really old, it will not have these choices and will only work with the Standard control valves.

Edited by tedbear 3/11/2020 08:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)