AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

BTO crash and burns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 3/20/2009 06:37 (#650232 - in reply to #649360)
Subject: Re: BTO crash and burns

Aberdeen MS
What I came up with back in the 80's when that's how I made my living (soil sampling), was 11 cores minimum per sample submitted. Some times that was over 4-5 acres... sometimes it was up to 30 acres. The number of acres was determined by soil type, lay of the land, field shape, and even equipment size that was used.

Over the course of time, I reduced the size of the core that was kept for the sample. The longitudinal opening of the tube was increased. Using my foot scraping away soil surface residue, I cored down to about 7.5 inches. A piece of tape wrapped around the tube acted as a depth stop. The top 1/2 inch was discarded to reduce residue contamination, a stainless steel kitchen knife sliced the exposed core in the tube off. The remaining soil was put in a plastic bucket and the 1" plug at the bottom was discarded.

11 - 12 cores after the above was enough soil to "fill the bag to the line". I no longer questioned just what soil was or was not being submitted. I knew that a complete representative sample of soil from a depth of .5 - 6.5 inches (still the 6" of soil suggested) was sent in.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)