AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

BTO crash and burns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

McCartman
Posted 3/19/2009 16:47 (#649661 - in reply to #649177)
Subject: Re: BTO crash and burns

No basis? I disagree. Local "BTO" rented a farm for 15 yrs and everyone saw a visible drop in crop quality on that farm over the years. Owner then decides to sell - BTO didn't even put a bid in on it because he knew what the fertility was on that place. Land ended up selling way low due to the huge investment needed to bring fertility back to where it should be. Our area has naturally acidic soil and needs regular applications of lime. Typical requirement is about 1.5 to 2 ton/acre every few years. This land required 12 ton/acre.

The problem was, the owner wasn't the brightest guy in the world and allowed this to happen. He learned the hard way when he sold that farm.

My point being - if fertility suffers, so does the crop. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell the difference between a crop of corn that is suffering for nutrients and one on the other side of the fence that looks fine. Maybe too many guys are depending on lab results, but my Dad always taught me that you can tell nearly as much from looking at a plant than a piece of paper - sometimes more.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)