AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop Profitability Spreadsheet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pigfarmer82
Posted 3/10/2020 07:01 (#8093280 - in reply to #8092618)
Subject: RE: Crop Profitability Spreadsheet

north central Ohio
KansasLane - 3/9/2020 20:10

Hey everyone,
So I want to make a spreadsheet that could show which crop would be more profitable for me to grow (at such and such price, or such and such yield). I'm having a hard time deciding what the best way to do this is, as I want to have a tool that I can use year after year. I already have a cost of production breakdown on my spreadsheet, and I'm thinking I could then tie this into various price and bushel ranges. I want to be able to see a trend line through various prices and bushel ranges using conditional formatting to see where my profitability in one crop may outweigh another. I am comparing dryland corn and milo, but this could easily be altered (in my mind at least) to accommodate different crops just by editing cost of production. Also, I'm thinking once I have this down, I'd like to plug in different rental/ownership scenarios into cost of production to see which is more profitable for me in different ways. For example, would milo produced at $2.5/bu at 110 bushel sold at $3.3/bu be more profitable for me to grow on rented acres versus 95 bushel corn produced at $3.3/bushel sold at $4?
Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone and heck maybe I'm overthinking this and I should just grow wheat :)

If you have excel or libre calc on your computer and know how to use them you can set up whatever you want. I have mine setup like what your wanting comparing different crops and different yields and breakevens. I know where my farm is everyday at least for that current year and a decent projection for the following year. I have several pages worth for different individual parts of the farm and then a summary sheet where it all comes together for a final number. Every operation is different so sharing mine won’t do you much good as it really only makes sense to me. It has been refined many times over the years but basic idea stays the same. Help improve my bottom line.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)