AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sustainable diet plan
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/9/2020 08:37 (#8091156 - in reply to #8090557)
Subject: low carb

Pittsburg, Kansas
I can only relate my personal experience and the one year update are at this thread.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=903006&posts=3...

It has been fairly easy for my wife and I to follow a low carb diet, but we are in it together so support each other plus we have no small children to complicate our eating patterns. Social events are the hardest.

From my perspective, low carb once fat adapted, is the easiest and only diet my wife has been able to keep weight off and stick with it. So if you can't stick with low carb, I can't give anything better to suggest. Her other attempts at dieting over the years had the same results as you have had.

Some things that can help if you do choose to try low carb again are:

Don't go hungry. Eat enough meat for protein and fat to satisfy you till the next meal. If you limit calories thinking that will help it only slows the metabolism. It is better, at least in the beginning, to keep calories up but switch from high carb vegetables to more meat/fat so the body becomes accustomed to fat burning.

Eating a carby snack between meals will blow all the hard work, so if a person just has to snack pick something that is protein/fat rather than carbs. Once a person is fat adapted hunger will be much better controlled.

Eat no more than 3 times a day with no snacks and preferably only twice a day. This lets insulin levels drop which allows fat to be burned. As long as insulin levels are high, the body does not switch to fat burning.

Get all the crap out of the house so you will not be tempted. Get your wife on board so that meals will be healthy for both of you. I would think kids would also be a lot better off if they got off all the sugar and highly refined groceries like cereal and juice.

Not medical advice. Just my opinion based on what I have learned.

Lots of low carb/keto info in the last dozen pages of Kitchen Talk. Lots of success stories too. I lost right at 100# and have been weight stable for quite a few months now. I eat like a horse, but just do not put high carb stuff in my mouth, eat much less often than I used to, and do not snack between meals. I definitely do not go hungry. If I had to I suspect I would eventually fail.

John

Edit: this is a really good overview video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61FgYNALjs8

Edited by John Burns 3/9/2020 09:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)