AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stalk decomposition products
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DobsonAG
Posted 3/9/2020 06:27 (#8090876 - in reply to #8090083)
Subject: RE: Stalk decomposition products

Donnellson, IA. Makes saying here easier.
I run a couple gallon of ats with the pre. Not for that reason but for part of the S requirement for the season. It can help some as a side benefit. We haven't been able to start early for a couple seasons but the best way I have found to reduce residue is a early harvest when things are relatively green and getting the leaves and stalks in contact on the ground. That was accomplished with a notill drill planting rye in the past. And now with yetter devastators. Besides the soil and air temps being higher in early fall which increases microbial activity, it's also fresh and more digestible. It would be like eating the last good ear of sweet corn right off the cob in july or finding it in October and eating it then. I'm in a warmer region so that might only be a here thing. But that's how I have reduced residue from good corn crops. This would be true for those in northern climates on the tillage side as well. Chase the combine if you want maximum residue reduction. Don't wait a month til you start tillage.

Edited by DobsonAG 3/9/2020 07:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)