AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All the talk about fish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/9/2020 15:05 (#8091994 - in reply to #8091910)
Subject: supercharging sardines

Pittsburg, Kansas
I just ate them out of the tin up till a few weeks ago when a good doctor friend from Copenhagen was here for a few weeks. He got me started on the capers and my wife loved them. So from then on we would sprinkle capers on the open can before eating.

Then my wife being the neat freak thought that made eating out of the tin to messy and caused her to spill the juice. So she put it in a bowl. Well a bowl has a lot of extra room. I had been wanting to try sardines in mustard but every one I found with mustard was in soybean oil. I wanted olive oil. So started adding both capers and mustard - hey this is great! But made eating out of the tin even more messy.

When we went to the bowl, all sorts of avenues opened up. We had mistakenly bought some pickled peppercorns (looked like capers, label was in Dutch), but hey, they aren't bad. Wife likes diced dill pickles in her tuna salad (used to like sweet relish before keto), so why not? Hmmm. That tasets good too! A little extra olive oil should be good for me and it makes them not dry.

Keto doesn't have to be boring. But a person needs to be open to trying some things they have never tried before and mixing them in ways they never had. Now mustard is standard fare on our sardines. And I never cared that much for mustard 18 months ago. I would eat it on a hot dog if it was on it, but I would rarely put it on it myself (going for the sugary ketchup instead). It goes really well with the sardines.

John

Edited by John Burns 3/9/2020 15:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)