AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All the talk about fish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 3/7/2020 18:46 (#8088273 - in reply to #8087528)
Subject: RE: All the talk about fish

I do have some bear pictures - I'll do some digging and try to post in a day or two.

I don't know anything about the mine you are referring to. I did post in reply to John below about Nome. When I was running the Fairbanks office for the company I worked for, I had a huge map of Alaska on the wall. It came in handy from time to time - I would study it and think about where my wife and I might go next. (BG). But, it had the old trails that criss-crossed the state from way back - along with the old abandoned road houses. At one time there were an incredible number of people walking around the state looking for gold. I can't imagine the number of stories that died out with the people who did that. I've heard just a few, but they were some doozies.

Maybe one quick story - about gold fever. My wife and I turned off the highway that runs besides Kluane Lake in the Yukon Territory - right at Burwash landing, I think. The trail got progressively worse the farther into the mountains we got. Finally, we were driving our four-wheel drive truck on a trail that had been dozed beside a stream. Low gear & low range. After two ro three hours, we stopped at a cabin and talked to the couple who were there taking care of it after the owner had been killed in an accident. I asked if there was anywhere Judy could try panning for gold? They pointed right down in front of the cabin and said to dig under that big rock. So, off we went. Sure enough, there was color there. After maybe three hours or so, I remarked to her that, if we were going to get to the base of the big mountains before dark, we should probably go. We were hiking into the St. Elias mountains to try to photograph the Dahl sheep there. She looked at me and shook her head - not yet! So, I went back to helping her dig while she panned. About an hour later, I saw that she was not planning to quit very soon, so I said to her - "We've worked hard here for about four hours, and we have a nice souvenir. We could work real hard until dark, and we would . . . (pause for effect) . . . have a nice souvenir. She looked up at me, thought for a bit, and only very reluctantly said - "Oh . . . . . . aaaall . . . right." She had the gold fever really bad.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)