AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All the talk about fish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Pigpiggy
Posted 3/7/2020 09:54 (#8087528 - in reply to #8087477)
Subject: RE: All the talk about fish

Texas
cfdr - 3/7/2020 09:22

John Burns - 3/6/2020 16:33

I agree. Alaska in that time period was kind of the modern day wild west of the time period.

A scuba dive club locally when I was 13 and first learning to dive had a character that was in the club but spent most of his time in Alaska mining gold diving in rivers sucking up material and running it through a sluice. He would come back once or twice a year and regale us with stories. Scooter Anderson was his name. Would have been around 1967-8.

John

You're right about Alaska at that time - it really was "the modern day wild west." I was in the SF Bay area in 1967-68. Interesting place. That's why I picked that area when I graduated. I drove up in 69.

Thanks to all of you who posted responses. I appreciate them. It's fun thinking about those days again. I'll take a break and try to post a few more after awhile. I guess, whoever is not interested just doesn't have to open the link.

Thanks again.

Any chance you have some photos of bears in the wild up there? Also, there was a thread I posted before in the agtalk cafe asking about a gold mine in Alaska. I was trying to find out the name of the mine. Happened to be watching a tv program that was talking about gold mines. From the brief description of this one particular mine, it sounded as though maybe it was no longer in operation. But I can’t be certain on that. Either it was the tail end of the show or they just didn’t give away many details. Only an illustration of the mine was shown. The processing area (for lack of a better word) was downhill from a mountain. Under the mountain or along the base, a long horizontal tunnel had been blasted entirely through to the other side. The tunnel continued on 80 feet under a lake that was on the other side of the mountain. It then came up into the bottom of the lake so the water could drain all the way to the mine processing facility. I didn’t hear just how far the water had to travel to reach its new destination. Does any of this sound familiar and maybe remind you of the mine name? It sparked my curiosity and just wanted to know about the mine’s operation. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)