AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All the talk about fish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 3/5/2020 08:04 (#8083260 - in reply to #8082414)
Subject: RE: All the talk about fish

Thanks. I knew that I was in a special place at a special time.

Yes, the Copper made sure that you never felt comfortable. I had a friend who got caught in a huge whirlpool in his 24' river boat. He had to wait until he came completely around before gunning the huge outboards on back to push him out of it.

You got me digging into the pictures my wife scanned again. We would go into the canyon and carefully nose my Zodiac into a small "bay" where a creek entered the big river. Then we would walk up on the bluff and find a spot where we could climb down to the water. I often would use the anchor rope. Then, as you can see in the picture, sometimes we would loop the rope around ourselves - in case we got one of those huge kings in the net and it pulled us in so fast that we wouldn't have time to release the net. We really caught fish this way - as I said, one day we went back upriver with our 80 salmon in the boat. The Zodiac I had was like the ones Cousteau used to use on his TV shows. It was rated for a 65hp outboard and stamped on the transom was a weight limit of 2400 lbs. I felt pretty good - it's tough to sink an innertube. (G)

Oh - for those wondering how this worked - you can see in the picture how we put the net into an eddy where the water was circling back upriver. The water was so glacial that an aluminum boat tied in the river would sound like the bottom was being aggressively sanded off. So, the fish would follow as close to the bank as possible and catch those eddies to propel them upriver with the least amount of effort. When you would get a big king that hit your net, you knew it! Hence - the rope.

(1977-219 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1977-219 (full).jpeg (312KB - 236 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)