AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All the talk about fish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 3/4/2020 18:16 (#8082296 - in reply to #8082228)
Subject: RE: All the talk about fish

John Burns - 3/4/2020 17:41

Are you saying some of the men lacked domestic demeanor?
John

Yes, John, you could say that. (VBG)

I went up in 69. Alaska was a really great place then - because there was no money up there. The first years, I would buy a hunting license which made it legal to take one or two moose (depending on what area), three black bears, a grizzly, two goats, a sheep, any number of caribou (in some areas, at least), and (I think) five deer. Plus wolves and wolverines, of course. It cost me $7. For another $5 I could keep an unbelievable number of fish, including Kings, Cohos, Sockeye, etc. My friend and i would, every year, make the drive down to Chitina on the Copper River. We would take my Zodiac down into Woods Canyon and bring back forty salmon each. One time we had the two of us, a small kicker to keep us off the rocks if the big motor quit, and 80 salmon coming out of the canyon - and I had to run 2/3 full throttle with the 40 hp Merc just to stay even with the canyon walls.

I still smile at when our new party chief came up to Anchorage. The party chief generally stayed in town. He was the boss, of course. Well, Teddy was a very religious guy. One day right after he arrived, he came out to the shop where we were working on the equipment. One of the guys asked him if he had any pictures of his wife in the nude. He reacted as you might expect - saying no, of course not. The guy then asked if he wanted to buy some.

I could tell many other stories, but this is a family forum. . . . (VBG)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)