AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beef jerky for the keto people
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/2/2020 05:39 (#8076720 - in reply to #8076639)
Subject: Good find

Pittsburg, Kansas
I would say you found some good stuff. Good job. I have looked at I don't know how many packages of jerkey to try and find some without much sugar and finally gave up.

It still likely has a little because of the raisin juice and that likely is fructose. But where they list it as zero carbs that means it can't be more than .9 carbs or .9 sugar so is about as low as a person can expect from a non- home made commercial product.

Even a person on a <20 gram carb regime could have some and someone on a higher level (say 100 grams) could have quite a bit and not worry about it keeping insulin too high.

I really like the meat sticks from Iowa Smokehouse. Not all of them are without sugar but a few are like your label and show 0 sugar.

Thing of it is, I don't eat them nearly as much as when I started the diet. The main reason is that during early stages I still felt the need for a snack once in a while. So I kept them on hand along with cheese to satisfy that need. As time went by and I became better fat adapted I found the snacks were no longer needed. So they would sit in the refridgerator for a long time. I still buy them, but only occasionally now. Early on in the diet change they were a staple. Now I am more likely to grab one or two an hour before supper as an appetizer while wife is cooking supper.

Good find and thanks for posting it.

Might have to try some when we get back into the states.

Edit: showed daughter and she has already tried some. She did not care for them because they are pretty dry and hard (jerkey!) and she prefers something softer. Thing of it is, to get it softer they have to add fat and fat can go rancid. That is the thing with the Iowa Smoke House meat sticks. They are soft and higher in fat, but once you open the package they need to be refridgerated. True jerkey is dried and would keep a lot longer in warmer temps without going rancid. At least that is the way I see it.

John

Edited by John Burns 3/2/2020 05:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)