AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If you don't like sardines..............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

MaineFarmer
Posted 3/1/2020 09:54 (#8075052 - in reply to #8073611)
Subject: RE: If you don't like sardines..............

coast of Maine
From where the mountains meet the sea,herring are usually more of a standard sized fish,cut up or fillet into a can,sardines are tiny and put whole minus head into a can,mackerel are not herring or sardines but do contain lots of fish oil,mackerel can be caught several at a time with a mackerel jig off from local docks in summer.Fantastic eating but many turn up their nose,usually get them free from those who like to just catch them,Alewife are often caught in offshore trawlers and used in flllets in cans.All of the above fish are considered valuable as lobster bait here.Millions of lbs of fish are used in this state for lobster bait which actually is lobster feeding as small ones dine and leave and breeders are let go.Maine was the herring capital of the world 50 years ago,gone mostly now,offshore trawlers with foreign flags are the primary reason ive been told.I prefer sardines with mustard from Maine ,Rayes Mustard ,,, way downeast maybe Calais or Eastport,,best mustard in the world,started I believe supplying sardine industry decades ago.First non farm job I had was hauling Alewife (L wive) from town nets to Lobster docks was 17 still in High school,made a killng and missed tons of school,alewife live in the ocean but breed in local fresh water lakes,bones beyond
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)