AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cancer and sugar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/29/2020 06:38 (#8072757 - in reply to #8072381)
Subject: sugar in soda

Pittsburg, Kansas
Thanks for sharing that first hand information.

Cutting out the sugar or at least the sweet taste is one of the toughest things I had to do. Of course being diabetic I already was cutting out most obvious sugar sources such as regular soda pop and candy. But it took me about three months before I weaned myself off of the sweet taste of sweetners. I drank diet soda liberally at the beginning of my diet change, as it has little to no nutritive value to it. But what I found that the sweet taste of the sweetners kept me tempted for other stuff that has sugar in it. It kept me addicted to the sweet taste. So over a period I weaned myself off the sweet taste. But it was probably the hardest thing about a low carb diet I had to do.

If a person was already fat adapted with a low carb/keto lifestyle I suspect the transition would be a lot easier.

On thing that surprises me in what you said was that a low fat diet was also prescribed. That makes me curious if there were specific reasons for that or if it is just a carryover from our society being fat phobic from long time dietary recomendations that villified saturated fats. That is a curiosity. The problem of going both low carb AND low fat is the satiety effect. Going to be hard not to feel hungry all the time. Fat has a really big satiety effect.

Back before I was diagnosed diabetic, I was pretty much on a soda for my liquid also. Usually a two litre bottle a day. Pepsi. One of the reasons I became diabetic most likely because I drank it on and off all day long, keeping my insulin elevated (looking in retrospect) and creating insulin resistance that started the cascade toward diabetes.

John

Edited by John Burns 2/29/2020 06:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)