AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Foods that keep you from feeling hungry-John Burns & others
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/21/2020 06:06 (#8055986 - in reply to #8055664)
Subject: carbs make me hungry, fat and protein satiates

Pittsburg, Kansas
This is my experience and what I think I have learned researching the subject. Your results may vary.

Think of a campfire. Carbs are the small sticks, kindling and shavings that burn quick, hot, and burn out quick. Fat are big chunks of firewood that burn slowly and last all night.

If I fuel my body almost entirely with carbs, it burns out quick (2-3 hours?) and I am hungry again. The fire is going out. If I fuel with fat, it lasts a long time before needing refueling.

Where I am at right now over winter, because of what is served for breakfast, I fast on Tuesday and Thursdays. I eat supper the night before and have nothing but two cups of coffee that morning and eat nothing till appetizers before the evening meal. Usually about 22 hours between meals. But I eat hardly any carbohydrates. Usually under 20 grams a day and often under 10. I did that yesterday. Did two hour + long scuba dives, both with considerable swimming, carried heavy gear around, and ended up carrying another ladys gear when she got knocked over by a wave getting out twice. Plus 10 chin upps and 20 push upps that I have started doing in the last couple weeks. Plus going up and down steps where we stay. All without eating anything all day. But I am right at a year now at being fat adapted. My body is not expecting the bolus of sugar I would have gotten every few hours back when I ate 3 meals, mid morning snack, afternoon snack, and something before bed time. So I was eating 6 times a day (at least), spiking my insulin response 6 times a day. When insulin levels are high, glucagon is driven down, so fat stored on the body can not be burned for fuel. I was getting heavier and heavier as time went by.

But once I got off the sugar train, all those "reserves" my body stored for a rainy day started being utilized. Now I am at a stable weight at around 170-175, my blood sugar last night after a big meal was 108, my blood sugar this morning after the night fast was 111. Used to be back when I took 100 units of insulin a day along with 2 diabetes medicines my sugar would hopefully be under 180 after meals (often higher) and under 130 in the morning. My after meals are completely within non-diabetic range now. My morning fasting level I would eventually like to see below 100.

Long story but I want to provide a background of where I came from, where I am at, how I got there, and why what we eat makes a difference.

If I want to remain being not hungry all the time this is what I do. I don't eat carbs, especailly for breakfast. In fact at home I never eat breakfast because I am not hungry. Here at the Inn I eat MWF breakfast because those days they provide eggs. Carbs fuel my body fast and run out fast, triggering hunger. Fat and protein satiate and release energy slowly so do not make a person hungry in the next 2-3 hours like carbs will. BUT......BUT a person has to be "fat adapted". For a person like me that is eating 6 times a day the body gets into a routine where it expects that carb load to hit the stomach on a regular basis. And if it does not come, hunger pains ensue. Big time. Once we cut the carbs, especially the fast carbs and highly processed food carbs, out of our diet the body over a period of time conditioned the mitochondria to utilize fat for a fuel. This can take 2-3 weeks for initial fat adaption and at 6 months I could still have the occasional "run out of energy" if I did a lot of physical work. Now at a year, I just do not run out of energy. Second scuba dive of the day yesterday was a 3/4 mile drift dive (enter one place, exit another) that I had to swim all the way. I did 10 minutes of it at a hard swim deep (85', for aerobic exercise) . Got out and felt fine and not hungry. Ate supper a couple hours later.

I know anyone reading this is going to have a hard time believing it. I would have been the same way two years ago.

This is what I did. Your results may vary. This is not medical advice.

Cut out ALL sugar essentially except for some tiny amounts we can not get around in some of the foods we buy (like bacon for instance, but we read labels to keep it minimal). Cut out all highly processed carbs. Basically anything that comes pre-prepared in a box, we don't eat. We eat whole, real foods. Cut out all starchy carbs like bread, potatoes, carrots, corn, corn bread, beans, etc. Cut out all liquid dairy but we do eat cheese and plain drained full fat low sugar yogurt. We do eat green vegetables that grow above ground like brocolii, cauliflour, asparagus, lettuce, etc., although we have been eating less and less of them as time goes by because my wife feels better when she eats mostly meat. We eat lots of meat and as much fat as we can reasonably get on it. We add pork belly, bacon or butter to meat that is too lean. I have lost 100# and have been weight stable for about 2-3 months now. Energy levels are like 30 years ago. Diving I feel like a 25 year old. Wife has lost about 60. Still has 30 to go (comes off harder for her).

Long story but here is the punch line. Carbs made me hungry and feel the need to eat again 2-3 hours later. Once off the sugar/carb train (carbs are just long chains of sugar), my body adapted to burning fat. Now I eat mostly meat protein and fat to fuel my body. Do I get hungry? Yes. But it is a different kind of hunger. Instead of that knawing pain I used to get from carbs and energy drop where my body was just screaming "feed me", now hunger comes on really subtly. On my fasting days where I just eat one meal a day, I will get a little hungry around lunch time and it will pass in about a half hour. Then I will starting getting hungry around 4-5 oclock again where my body is accustomed to knowing a meal is coming soon. But I could easily skip supper if needed (and I have done up to a 40 hour fast) and go to the next day. The hunger would pass and I would forget about it. This kind of hunger is entirely in a different catagory than the carb addicted hunger I used to have.

That is the way it works for me. I got the carbs out (with the exception of green veggies) and eat a lot more fatty meat. Also we quit using vegetable oils and use other oils and fats to cook with and on salad. Feel 20 years younger, have more energy, better sex life, got rid of some bowel problems, knees and back quit hurting, skin tags went away, no longer on any medication (do take a few supplements just for good measure - don't know that I really need them), haven't taken pain pills in a year, blood sugar levels are great, blood pressure returned to normal so got off blood pressure medicine.............. and more I forget right now.

Can't say it will work for anyone else. Do your own research. Not medical advice. But it has literally changed my wife, daughter and my lives. Not to mention we are no longer hungry every few hours and feel the need to snack.

Long explanation. Sorry.

John

Edited by John Burns 2/21/2020 07:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)