AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is the keto diet for you? A Mayo expert weighs in
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/18/2020 15:47 (#8050239 - in reply to #8050214)
Subject: ideal weight

Pittsburg, Kansas
I have already quit losing weight a few months ago and am at ideal weight. My BMI figures 22.5 and ideal is 18-24.

I look at it differently than most. I started out on the diet to lose weight. But I don't think I was looking at it correctly.

I think what happened is the diet made me healthy. Then the weight came off as a result of getting healthy.

I reversed much of my insulin resistance and that allowed my body to correctly regulate itself again.

From my research, a person will not lose "too much" weight on a ketogenic diet, as long as they eat to satiety and eat when hungry. I eat like a horse. I just avoid starchy high carb foods.

I don't plan on changing anything for at least another year. If I get my insulin resistance completely reversed (that may not be possible being diabetic for so long) then it would be nice to have a little more flexibility in social settings where I could occasionally have a few more carbs. Maybe up to 100 grams a day, but only on occasion.

But I can never return to the way of eating that got me sick in the first place. Doing so would just make me sick again.

John

Edited by John Burns 2/18/2020 15:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)