AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Valentine's Day Dinner
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Haoleguy
Posted 2/17/2020 09:56 (#8047279 - in reply to #8046072)
Subject: RE: Valentine's Day Dinner

I had a loose recipe giving to me so here's generally how I did it for 12 short ribs. It's about 1.5 ribs per person so that would feed 8 people.

- sear meat(bone on) in cast iron dutch oven on medium high heat and remove to a holding bowl
- to the dutch oven on medium heat make a mire poix with 3 diced onions and 3 diced large carrots ......if dry add fat(I used duck but it could be bacon fat, butter, or oil)
- once the onions and carrots are soft add 1 bottle of red wine, 2 bottles of port, 2 cups of unsalted/low salt chicken or beef broth, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, & 1/2 cup honey.....you
can go cheap on the wine & port but make sure it's drinkable; bottle sizes are 750ml
- bring to a simmer but make sure the meat bits at the pan bottom come off and make flavor to the broth
- to a deep baking pan(in my case 2 disposable HD foil pans) add broth with veggie bits, add meat, several sprigs of fresh thyme, and 2 garlic heads sliced in half....meat should be ~
1/4 exposed above liquid level to start.
- bake at 325F for 1.5 hrs and turn meat so that the dry side is submerged and then bake again for 1.5 hrs
- take pan(s) out of oven, separate meat , and foil wrap to keep warm.....if the sauce step takes longer than expect the meat in foil can go into low temp oven to keep warm
- filter broth through strainer into a grease separator
- pull clear broth out and leave grease behind
- heat clear broth to simmer and reduce to desired thickness. ...... salt to taste if need be and add tbs of butter to make silky...... if sauce needs to be thickened a bit use
cornstarch solution and only add a small bit at a time so that you don't over thicken.......keep sauce warm
- to a hot skillet quickly sweat any combination of swiss chard and spinach......this is really fast
- to plate lay down the quickly cooked greens, followed by mashed potatoes(use any recipe you like; spouse was making these while I did the meat and veggies), then meat off bone,
and then the sauce.
- your done....not as hard as it may sound.....adjust proportions to the number of people.....if doing for 4 people get 6 meaty short ribs and half the ingredients

Hope that helps. Bon Appetit !

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)