AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question: Acquaintance on a Keto diet for about 4-5 weeks. Lost about 10lbs, then stalled...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/15/2020 10:32 (#8043272 - in reply to #8042890)
Subject: Stalls and health

Pittsburg, Kansas
Don't cut calories, especially in the beginning. Once you are at desired weight, there might be a need to back off the fat a little. But the last thing you want to do is reduce calories in the beginning. Forget calories. Quit counting them. Count and limit carbs.

Why? Caloric intake restriction has been proven to slow metabolism. You do not want to slow your metabolism and instead want to increase it. But you want to change from almost exclusively burning glucose to mostly burning fat. The way to do that is to lower insulin. To lower insulin you lower your carbohydrate intake. The body, over a few weeks, will transition to a more metabolic flexibility where it can burn fat as easily (either fat you eat or body fat) as glucose. But since you want to now burn body fat, limit the amount of glucose you get from food via carbohydrates.

Early on more fat is better, because it helps transition the body to burning fat more than glucose. If you have been burning mostly glucose and have not been transitioning to burning body fat, it takes the mitrocondria a while to get the message. Having fat available via the food you eat will help that along. At some way later date, you may want to back off the fat a little, when you are fat adapted and want to burn body fat instead of as much fat eaten.

It took me about 3 weeks to get partially fat adapted. Another 6 months and I was a lot more so. Now at a year I think I am finally fully fat adapted. I basically never "hit the wall" for a loss of energy. I can do an hour long dive or exercise and never feel the lack of energy supply. Having been mostly carb driven for 60 years, it takes a while to get to be a fat burner. And in my case, insulin dependent diabetic for 15-20 years, the transition comes much slower than a metabolically healthy person.

Another post I made on fat adaptation. https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=904717&mid=803...

This is in no way medical advice, nor even dietary advice. Just what I would do based on my own body. You do what is best for you or what your doctor recomends. If you are on medication, severe diet changes can affect the effects of that medication. Seek medical advice.

A week or two is not a stall. A month is not a stall. Two or three months is a stall. Your viceral fat will be the first fat to go (the most dangerous fat in and around your organs and muscles). Subcutaneous fat comes off later. Take measurements if you need constant feedback. Weight will come off unevenly. If you are exercising any, you may be losing fat weight while simultaneously gaining muscle weight, so the scales will tell you nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SnR5-SBXBc

In my and wifes case we went on the diet to lose fat. What actually happened is that we got a lot healthier in numerous ways first. As we became healthy through a better diet, the weight came off naturally. We reversed a lot of our health problems that had dogged us for years. Your results may vary.

John

Edited by John Burns 2/15/2020 11:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)