AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

low carb meal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/17/2020 05:59 (#8046822 - in reply to #8046690)
Subject: wife says she can get you pretty close - manicotti recipe

Pittsburg, Kansas
Carloynn has cooked so much a lot of the things she makes she just knows what ingredients go together and makes stuff up on the fly. 19 times out of 20 it turns out great. Once in a while she has to modify what she did to improve it. She kind of did the manicotti on the fly the other night.

Here is a basic recipe she started out with and modified. Note that she uses whole eggs instead of egg whites. Easier and you get better fat in it that way.
https://dailyyum.com/?s=low+carb+keto+crepes

What she did different from the above recipe. She ended up adding two cups of cheese and baked it rather than making the crepes. But you could do the crepes and roll up the ingredients. That is just the crepes or in other words the "pasta replacement".

The filling consisted of 8 oz ricotta cheese, a whole egg, (she is thinking while I am typing), creme cheese, grated Itallian cheese (some for inside and some for on top), salt, pepper, tablespoon of Italian seasoning. Blend it all together for the basic stuffing. Then add other stuff you want. Like she added fresh mushrooms and onions. You could add sausage or basically anything you would like to eat in manicotti.

So to make small batches just make the crepes, put some of the stuffing on the crepe and roll it up. Place in a pan, sprinkle with cheese and bake. Doing it the sheet way to make a large batch, just put one layer of the baked "pasta" mixture on the bottom of a pan, layer in the filling, top with another layer of the "pasta", sprinkle with cheese and bake.

I know I did not give you exact amounts of ingredients. My wife just kind of knows how much of each looks right with the right consistency so rarely measures anything. Sorry. But that will give you the basic idea. You could probably look up any manicotti recipe, then just substitute low carb options for anything in the recipe that calls for high carb.

Good luck.

You could do everyone a favor and if you make manicotti successfully for your own tastes, measure things as you go so you can give us a "real" detailed recipe. I think it will be worth the effort to "experiment". Seriously, this dish turns out really, really good.

John

Edited by John Burns 2/17/2020 06:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)