AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

low carb meal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/17/2020 04:57 (#8046787 - in reply to #8046690)
Subject: RE: Manicotti - something similar but slightly different

Pittsburg, Kansas
I'll ask Carolynn about it.

The crepe like things in the picture she uses for "shells" is the way she makes it for us at home and she did a few that way for the ones that did not like mushrooms. But she ended up making them for the bulk of the people (26 in all) by just doing a "layer" manicotti which did not look like manicotti at all, but making the "shells" one at a time in a frying pan was just going to take too long.

So what she ended up doing was making a "sheet" of the shells like in the picture instead of individual ones. Put a layer of this in the bottom of a cake pan, then the filling, then another layer on top with cheese on top of that all and baked it. So esentially it turned out more like a lasagne but with only a top and bottom "pasta" layer with the manicotti filling in the middle. Then cut it in squares like lasagna. It was REALLY good and no one would suspect it is a low carb dish.

I'll check with her and see if she got it on line or modified some other recipe she had.

She also made up a low carb cholocate mouse that is fantastic. Softened cream cheese mixed and whipped with whipping cream with either 85% cacao cholocate bar added or cocoa with only a tiny amount of sugar added. Then real whip cream on top. We keep portion size small because of the small amount of added sugar but I think she only used like two teaspoons of sugar in ten servings or something like that. Just enough to take the bitterness out of it when she makes it with cocoa instead of the cholocate bars.

I am so lucky!

John

Edited by John Burns 2/17/2020 05:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)