AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This is scary!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

95h
Posted 3/16/2009 10:47 (#646247 - in reply to #645062)
Subject: RE: law of unintended consequences,,,,,

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

dictates there will always be 3 worthless advances for every excellent advance.

Text messaging,, for what?  If I need to talk to someone, voice interaction,, why would I in any form of logic text them instead, or leave a message. (the cell phone records the number and time of call unless blocked anyway and tells you, you missed a phone call..) Why not just call them back in 15 minutes?? At the same time,, a circle sprinkler being able to call a cell phone to say "Hey !!  I'm broke down!!" makes outstanding sense.

GPS in my vehicle to tell me what routes to take to get somewhere I've lived all my life.. welll if I'm that dam clueless about my area and so inept I can't read a map to find my way somewhere I haven't been,, I better have a recording to remind me to breath every few seconds..

Having GPS, and precision planting tools however make perfect sense. When hours are long, rows even longer and machinery even longer than that,, having a tool to keep everything within inches is totally logical.

Computers are great for keeping records, giving instant answers to 'what if" questions, projections, staying in touch with friends or family (email, instant messaging) etc. Sharing knowledge, information etc, such as this site.  

Setting at a computer playing some game alone, while the rest of the family is playing alone on their computers, playing "WII", listening to their Ipod, etc.. Whatever happened to family's actually spending time together and intereacting in person?  Same for the friend who lives down the road 10 miles,, with actually driving over, sitting down and personally in in person interacting with them.

Technology is touted as "bring people and ideas together"  and the exact opposite is the result.  People are more involved with interacting with their machines than the actually living breathing person they're trying to interact with.

Think back to when you were kids for those on the north side of 45 or so. There wasn't a fraction of the "people connectors" and gizmo's to make our lives better and easier. If you wanted dinner cooked, you actually had to cook it, very little was basically "MRE'S" which was cooked in the microwave. Phones were glued to a  specific location if you wanted to call someone you actually had to think ahead and call when you were fairly sure someone would be there to answer the phone.  Friends/family were people you actually visited with, had meal's with, to stay involved in their lives. If you wanted "music" in a mobil unit of any kind,, there was a radio in the machine, and getting music was  completely free. Now, it's "pay for music" over the air,, or sitting at a computer (other machind) downloading any paying for music to put onto another machine so I can have music.

I dare anyone to tell me how much more time they have because of dishwashers, microwaves, computers, cell phones, GPS, monitors, and any 'technology'. The theory was "more conectivity with people, save time, easier, more free time to spend with people, etc,etc,etc,etc....

In reality,, all that has really happened is people have more time consumed 'playing alone' with their machines trying to save more time!!!

And,, parent's can't figure out why "Johnnie, or Jannie" is fat out of shape, lacks social skills, can not understand the simple concept of socially acceptable interaction and sound like the village idiot when talking to other people, can't spell anything past cat, have not clue one how to find they way to a town 100 miles away, their idea of 'working for a living and sweating' is having the A/C break down.

Useful Technology is a great thing,, stupid Technology just serves to keep people farther apart, less connected, and brain dead at actully being able to think for themselves !!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)