AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reporting back on NetFlix
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/15/2009 12:21 (#645059)
Subject: Reporting back on NetFlix

Chebanse, IL.....

This is NOT an ad....only a presentation of my experiences thus far!!

A short while back, I asked about NetFlix on here. I was totally unfamiliar w/their service. I was very leery of anything that had to be mailed out/mailed in. We have good mail service here, that's not the problem. But, I often notice when I check my "on-line" status of utility bills, that it's often 7-10 days before posting work is completed. I don't really understand that, but I thought the same phenominon might affect the NetFlix deal.

However, others here suggested it worked well. So, I got on the 2 week free trial, which was good. Though you have to be aware that it does automatically continue to a full-time service unless you say stop! They have your c.c. info already. I also had a hard time grasping the "que list" thing...though now I understand. It works well. Everyone in the family (except for me) sits down & picks out some movies occasionally & adds it to the list. We'll eventually see them all.

We opted for the "2 at-a-time" program. You can receive as many movies as possible during a month, however only 2 at a time can be in your possession. So, it's not really possible to view more than 15 or so movies/month...though of course that's far-far beyond our needs anyway. I'd considered the "one-at-a-time" thing, but you then realize you may get stuck without a movie some weekend (SOP = Sat pm movie viewing here) if your "send back" timing was miscalculated. You pay no postage since everything is ppd.

Since we're in NE IL, our local NetFlix "depot" appears to be Springfield IL. That's about 120 crow mis from here. I notice that if I drop the return movie in the local PO pickup box before 1100 hrs, then I will receive an email from NetFlix about 0900 the next day saying our movie had returned to them & they'd be sending out the next one to us. It's obviously all automated email, but it works great so far. We then receive a movie replacing the one I returned on the next day. So, if I return on Mon. a.m, then we receive the next movie via USPS by about 1200 hrs on Wednesday. Works good here. This is all rural mail service...but we're good here, I know.

I did have one problem that I didn't think was handled well, though perhaps I'm too critical. We had a dvd "stall" on us in a movie scene. The disk surface appeared clean enough and I didn't see any BIG scratches, but it re-occured. I finally had to jump past the scene/chapter & then "rewind" back to almost the scene & play beyond it. We probably missed 2-3 minutes of the movie time (though it took me longer to work around it). I got on the NetFlix site & found where they allow you to comment on defective movies. However, they only offer the alternative of either "getting that same movie replaced", or saying they're sorry. I suspect our local Family Video store would at least offer a discount on the next movie. We didn't really want to watch the 2 hr movie again for that 2 minute lapse. So, I wish they'd have some "adjustment" policy beyond all or nothing.

Anyway, I"m glad were receiving NetFlix now. We really became aggravated of the "self-destruct in 24 hr" policy with our DISH service. We're reducing our movie channel subscriptions now thanks to that new policy. We subscribe to all Blu-Ray movies from NF.

Here's NetFlix if you're interested:

http://www.netflix.com

Edited by Ron..NE ILL..10/48 3/15/2009 12:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)